Friday, December 15, 2006

Closest..

'Hey, tell me something..' she said,' and only one thing thats really close to your heart.. closest.. can be a person also.'

And I felt happy... that somebody wanted to know.
I thought of the people that I love.... and I couldn't make up my mind... And yet I wanted to come up with something that wouldn't disappoint this person.. this person who made me happy because she wanted to know something about me.

So I thought.. of the e-mails my brother writes me.. of songs that make me happy.. of home.. my mom's cooking.. my father walking around with his glass of scotch.. a bunch of unsent letters to a teenage crush.. of late night phone conversations .. early morning scooter rides when the whole city is asleep... of just being allowed to be myself and being loved.. I went on a trip thinking.. and felt good about all the things that I held close to my heart.. and then deciding that none of my thoughts were good enough, for the 'closest thing'... I kept thinking...

I finally told her,that if I were to think of a person that I held close to my heart, there are four that I cannot choose from.. And I cannot think of a 'thing' that would ever compare to them.. I knew it wasn't an impressive answer, but atleast it was honest..

I asked her what her answer would be.. And she said, 'My dreams are the closest to my heart.. I can't pick people or things.. All my dreams are the closest to my heart..'

And I smiled, impressed... but still happy that she had asked me...

4 comments:

murali said...

What about the deep dark secrets that are too scary to even think about that you keep closed behind a cupboard at the back of your mind?

Maya Reiss said...

@murali: is that YOUR answer? :)

fr0z3n said...

:-)

Closest..? hmmm.. that's an interesting question...

unni said...

mmmm...
foood...
it is closest to my heart especially as it slides down the gullet, nugding my heart on it's way down
(or when it comes back up in a big belch, poking the heart on it's way up)
:-)