Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Just remembered..

I don't know how this came to me today.. or why.. I was on my way to work.. and I remembered this happening a long time back.. I think I was in first grade then.. and I think the class was Social Studies or something of the sort.. We were learning either about Family or Professions.. or something.. Can't remember.. But there was this part where I had to write down my Dad's profession.. and I didn't know what that was.. He was working for Schindler Elevators then, and I remember him telling me that Elevators were the same as 'Lifts' .. like the one in our building.. And I don't know how I came up with the term 'Lift Operator'.. I felt really proud of my Dad for being someone so cool, and of myself for having come up with such a cool profession amongst all the Doctors and Engineers and Bank Managers.. My teacher raised her eyebrows when she saw what I'd written.. smiled and asked me if I was sure.. I nodded .... and when my turn came to read it aloud in class.. I don't think it made an impact on anybody.. except I think the teacher.. and yes... my mom when I got home.. I think she was struck .. she probably imagined my Dad wearing a red coat with two parallel rows of round silver buttons and a cap and standing in a corner of a lift asking people which floor they'd like to go to... She told me Daddy wasn't a Lift operator.. and to my disappointment erased it and made me write 'Engineer'.. which, I consoled myself, was something like a Train operator...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

chakkare..u rock...n it doesnt take me a lotta time 2 figure out why i'm crazy bt u.u still make me laugh.n i think thts amazing.